The program teaches children the art of jazz through voice and movement. They will learn traditional jazz using fun techniques and will finish the program with a broader understanding of the sounds of blues, rhythm changes and famous bebop standards. Children grades 1-8 respond very well to the program.
Also included is a Jazz for Kids CD for every child (while supplies last). Every program is guaranteed to end with a spectacular jazz performance given by the students under Lisa's leadership.
Vocal Jazz for Kids
Primary Educational Objectives
1. To promote students’ creative expression through the language of Jazz using their own voices
2. To teach the students Jazz repertoire featuring well know and original melodies and lyrics
3. To educate kids on the techniques and history of scatting, vocals and bebop jazz
Secondary Educational Objectives
1. To teach kids the different forms and progressions in jazz such as Rhythm Changes and Blues-as used by Jazz vocalists.
2. To give kids a background/history of well known vocal jazz improvisers such as Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Eddie Jefferson, Lambert Hendricks and Ross, Manhattan Transfer, etc.
3. To use vocal jazz techniques and singing to promote self- esteem, team work and social skills
Vocal Jazz For Kids Performance/Program
Led By Lisa Yves- Vocals and keyboard
The Vocal Jazz For Kids Program will enhance any school music program teaching the following elements:
- Song form
- Melody and harmony
- History and people
- Jazz vocal techniques
- Improvisation and creativity
Additional Props for Visuals:
Lisa will bring pictures of jazz musicians and vocalists discussed in the program.
Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughan, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, etc.
Lisa will bring pictures of syllables for scatting—Ooh papa da, daba daba, etc.